Video: Liverpool 5 – 2 AS Roma (April-24-2018) UEFA Champions League Semi-Finals 1st Leg Highlights
Liverpool win a superb Champions League tie but two goals for Roma gives them hope for the second leg. Another Mohamed Salah masterclass helped Liverpool take control of their Champions League semi-final – but two late Roma away goals gave them a glimmer of hope for the second leg.
Liverpool, who last reached the final in 2007, breached the visitors’ naively high defensive line five times in the opening 68 minutes at a raucous Anfield.
Mohamed Salah is Liverpool’s second-highest scorer in a season – only four goals behind Ian Rush. Salah, who has now scored 43 goals since his summer move from Roma, scored twice and assisted two other goals.
He curled his first into the top corner from the edge of the box – then clipped the ball over Alisson from the edge of the box for a second.
Salah then ran down the right and squared for Sadio Mane to make it 3-0 – before doing the same to set up Roberto Firmino. Firmino then headed in a fifth following James Milner’s corner.
With his side leading 5-0, Reds boss Jurgen Klopp took off Salah – and Roma gave themselves a shot for next week’s return leg at the Stadio Olimpico.
First Edin Dzeko lashed home from Radja Nainggolan’s pass – then Diego Perotti put a penalty into the top right corner after Milner handled Nainggolan’s shot.
Roma can take inspiration from the last round, when they lost 4-1 in Barcelona but won 3-0 in Rome to go through. The same scoreline this time would take them into the final against Bayern Munich or Real Madrid.
Liverpool 5 – 2 AS Roma | UEFA Champions League – Semi-Finals – 1st Leg – Match Highlights
- 35′ 1 – 0 Mohamed Salah curls in superb opener goal. Who else? It’s been coming and it’s Liverpool’s Fab Three combining as Roma lose the ball inside their own half after good hustling by James Milner. Sadio Mane to Roberto Firmino, who finds Mohamed Salah and the forward superbly curls the ball into the far corner from the edge of the area. Goal number 42 of an incredible season.
- 45′ 2 – 0 Mohamed Salah dinks in second against former club, Roma. Guess who… Of course it’s Mo Salah. Roma cannot cope with those high balls from the back as one picks out Salah, he plays a one-two with Roberto Firmino, breaks towards goal before calmly clipping the ball into the net. What a season, what a player.
- 56′ 3 – 0 Sadio Mané scores from Salah’s set-up. He doesn’t miss this one. Mohamed Salah is not picked up as he chases yet another ball over the top. He carries the ball into the area before sliding it across goal for Sadio Mane to tap in. It’s 3-0 to Liverpool, but could easily be 6-0.
- 61′ 4 – 0 Roberto Firmino scores Liverpool’s fourth goal. Unbelievable performance by Liverpool! Roma coach Eusebio di Francesco slumps back in his seat as the hosts grab another with ease. Trent Alexander-Arnold’s first-time flick sends Mo Salah away down the right, he waits for support before picking out Roberto Firmino to tap home. You just know Liverpool are not done yet.
- 68′ 5 – 0 Roberto Firmino heads in fifth goal from a corner. Thank you and good night, Roma. Easy as you like for goal number five as Roma fail to pick up a corner and Roberto Firmino nods into the far corner. Is this really the same team that dumped Barcelona out of the competition?
- 81′ 5 – 1 Edin Dzeko give Italian side a lifeline. The faintest glimmer of hope for Roma? The visitors catch out Liverpool with a ball over the defence, Edin Dzeko brings it under control superbly before driving home. It’s a consolation strike on the night, but gives them something ahead of the home leg.
- 85′ 5 – 2 [Penalty Goal] Diego Perotti scores the penalty kick. Well this was unexpected. Diego Perotti tooks away the penalty and suddenly Roma have two away goals and the deficit is just three… After James Milner is deemed to have handled inside the box. Penalty made a big chance for Roma here…
DOWNLOAD AND WATCH BELOW: